Which type of foot-valve saves more diesel?
- The foot-valve shown in figure A, because it has a wider mouth and larger area of openings.
- The bigger valve helps save diesel because less fuel and less power is needed to draw water from the well.
Farmers in Gujarat save 10% diesel.
- PCRA demonstrated to the farmers in Gujarat that they can save about 10% to 30% diesel by simply using a foot-valve with larger area of openings than the one with narrow area of openings. An efficient low friction ISI mark foot-valve, though slightly costlier, pays back fast the extra cost by saving a lot of diesel.
Which type of pipeline helps save diesel?
The rigid PVC pipeline, with bigger diameter shown in figure A.
More diesel is required to pump water through small diameter pipes because it offers higher friction. If the pipe is bigger than the pump flange size, a reducer must be used. How a 20% decrease in diameter increases the friction 3 times:
If, in place of 100mm (4”) pipe, an 80mm (3”) pipe is used, the loss due to friction for drawing the same quantity of water will be three times more, which will cause higher fuel consumption. Also pipes made of rigid PVC cause lower frictional loss as compared to pipes made of conventional galvanized iron. Such pipes thus help save fuel.
Which type of pipeline arrangement helps save diesel?
The one shown in figure A.
The pipeline arrangement shown in figure has many bends and unnecessary fittings, which cause higher diesel consumption. Each bend in an 80mm (3”) diameter Pipeline leads to as much friction loss as an additional pipe length of 3 meters.
Therefore, the fewer the number of bends and fittings in a pipe, the more the saving of diesel.
Which type of bend should be used in the pipeline?
The type of bend shown in figure A.
Sharp bends and L-joints in the pipe can lead upto 70% more frictional loss than standard bends.
Which type of installation is better?
The one shown in Figure A.
The pump works most efficiently when it is not more than 10 feet above the water level. If the well is deep, the pump should be installed on a platform at the right height.
Which length of pipe helps save diesel?
The pipe of short length shown in Figure A.
The pipe shown in Figure B is unnecessarily high and would require more fuel for pumping water. A farmer can save 15 liters of diesel every month simply by reducing the pipe height by 2 meters.
Which transmission is better?
The transmission shown in Figure A.
The belt in the second picture is old and worn out. It can slip or snap anytime, causing loss in the transmission of power and hence increased fuel consumption. Check points for efficient transmission
- Reduce the number of joints in the belt.
- Check and adjust belt tension frequently.
- Check alignment of the pump with the engine.
How to select the right type of pump set?
The various pumps sets available in the market require different quantities of diesel for pumping water. Therefore , it is important to choose an ISI mark pump. But that’s not all.
The pump you select should be suitable for your well and your water requirements. It is not necessary that the pump that is good for your neighboring farm is good for you too. If you give the following information to an expert, he will be able to help you choose the right pump:
- The depth of your well.
- The area of your field.
You should also select the right engine which makes the pump run at the right seed. For this, consult an expert. The engine you use should have sufficient horsepower (H.P.) to operate the pump. The expert can calculate the amount of power needed for your engine. It is always better and beneficial to go in for a well-known and good quality engine. Look for the ISI mark of quality on the engine.
To ensure a high level of operational efficiency of your diesel powered engine, ensure the following:
- Engine should not emit too much smoke.
- Use the correct grade of lubricant recommended by the manufacturer.
- Engine should be fitted with an oil filter.
- Engine should have an air filter which should be cleaned regularly.
- Engine jacket cooling water should be warm.