PETROLEUM CONSERVATION RESEARCH ASSOCIATION (PCRA)
Petroleum Conservation Research Association (PCRA) is a registered society set up under the aegis of Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas, Government of India.
As a non-profit organization, PCRA is a national government agency engaged in promoting energy efficiency in various sectors of economy. It helps the government in proposing policies and strategies for petroleum conservation, aimed at reducing excessive dependence of the country on oil requirement. Over the years, PCRA has enlarged its role in improving productivity in use of various sources of energy.
PCRA undertake studies to identify the potential and to make recommendations for achieving conservation of petroleum products in various sectors of the economy. It sponsors R&D activities for the development of fuel-efficient equipment / devices and organizes multi-media campaigns for creating mass awareness for the conservation of petroleum products. Fuel oil utilization studies, energy audits, introduction of equipment bank concept, use of energy vans, development of oil consumption norms, model depot projects, driver training programs, workshops/ exhibitions, consumer meets, education films/TV spots, hoarding/ electronic display, distribution of printed literature, R&D projects are other activities.
PCRA aims at making oil conservation a national movement. As part of its mandate, PCRA is entrusted with the task of creating awarenes amongst the masses about the importance, methods and benefits of conserving petroleum products & emission reduction.
To take the message to the people, PCRA uses all possible and effective media for mass communication. These include electronic and press media e.g. TV, Radio, Electronic displays; Press at the National and State level printed literature for specific target groups; outdoor publicity through Hoarding, Bus panels, Kiosks, Balloons, Banners Tran-sliders etc.
The focus of all the messages is easy to implement and practical conservation tips for the industrial, transport, agriculture & domestic sectors. For effective communication to the target groups in semi-urban and rural areas, messages are made in regional languages. Field interactive programs like seminars, Technical meets, Consumer meets, Workshops, Clinics, van-publicity, Exhibitions, Kisan melas are conducted for dissemination of conservation messages and demonstration of conservation techniques.
To give impetus to the oil conservation movement, PCRA utilizes various platforms like the World environment day, World energy day, various festivals etc.
Over the years, PCRA has developed a number of films, TV spots and radio jingles in various languages for promoting oil conservation. PCRA also publishes quarterly a journal and a newsletter. Active Conservation Techniques (ACT), is a journal containing articles on technology by energy experts. It also brings out successful case studies leading to conservation of energy. The conservation news is an in-house newsletter highlighting the major activities carried out by PCRA in the core sectors.
For the benefit of various target groups of petroleum products, PCRA has developed literature containing simple ready to implement conservation tips and techniques. Special low cost green leaflets have also been developed to educate the masses on the ill effects of pollution caused due to incomplete combustion and its impact on health.
To become a center of excellence for conservation of hydrocarbons & environment protection for sustainable development on our inherent strength.
Efficient energy utilization and environment protection leading to Improvement in Quality of Life.
- To formulate strategies and promote measures for accelerating conservation of petroleum products leading to environment protection, energy security and sustainable development.
- To create awareness among masses about the importance, benefits and methods of conserving petroleum products & clean environment by enhancing information and capacity building.
- To promote research, development and deployment efforts aimed at petroleum conservation & environment protection, support & facilitate efforts for adoption and dissemination of fuel efficient technologies and substitution of petroleum products with alternate fuels and renewable.
- To establish synergistic institutional linkages at the national & international levels in the areas of petroleum conservation & environment protection.
- To provide training and technical advisory services, designed to achieve economy & efficiency in use of petroleum products for cleaner environment.
- To function as a Think Tank to the Govt. of India for proposing policies and strategies on petroleum conservation and environment protection aimed at reducing excessive dependence on oil.